Monday, February 06, 2006

The Real Superbowl winner!!!

Watching the Superbowl last night I couldn't help but think....Why am I wasting my time watching a game between two teams I don't care about? Is it the love of the game? Did I have money, or pride, riding on the outcome (yes and no)?? The more I thought about it the more I realized that during a game like this there is one bright spot...the winners and losers of superbowl commercials.

Here is my short list:

Worst Spots:

5. Monster.com (the monkey ads)...I was starting to think that they were just running the same spots as last year!
4. Pizza Hut...Jessica Simpson....Jessica Jessica Jessica...was the break up so bad that you actually thought this spot was going to be funny? Did you need work so bad that you jumped at the first offer after Nick packed his bags? On the bright side I hated it just slightly less than the winner that clocks in at number one!
3. Bud Light (hey all twelve spots can't be jems)... The rotating wall spot. Kinda made me wish for the wassup guys!
2. Any local spot that got shoved in at halftime...talk about your commercial let downs
and the Winner for WORST SUPERBOWL SPOT>>>>>
1. Burger King. Talk about starting the show off with a stinker...Now I am sure that those dancers trained real hard..but come on WTF!!!!!

Winners
5. Fed Ex... Loved the Caveman spot..Still not as good as the test pattern ad of a few years ago. But, I laughed real hard.
4. Alieve....Leonard Nemoy spot....got to love a guy who doesn't take himself too seriously. Trekkies around the world breath a little easier knowing that the Vulcan hand sign is still going strong. Nothing is as gruesome as a Star Trek Convention riot!
3. Sprint...the first spot where the guy hits his friend in the face with the phone, twice. Nothing is more fun to watch during a superbowl ad then senseless cell phone violence.
2. Budweiser....Return of the football playing horses..with a twist....STREAKER! best line, "oh, I didn't need to see that."

And my Pick for Favorite:
Three little letter RDA



MasterCard Gets my nod for the best spot. This spot saved a fourth quarter of worthless spots. Loved the fact that Richard Dean Anderson was able to bring back the ever loved ever bashed character of MacGyver. If you missed the spot here is the link to watch it online.

http://www.priceless.com/film/worldpremiere.html

Honorable/Dishonorable mention: I was disappointed in the Emerald Nuts spot...and most of the car commercials. Heff and the Playboy bunnies along with Shaq and Tony Hawk for Desperate Housewives???? I must say that I did enjoy vast majority of the Bud spots, and the Fidelity spot in the hospital was pretty funny too. All in all it was a down year for the spots...kinda makes me hope for a second season of "Terry Tate Office Linebacker" during next years big game.

No comments: