Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Teachers, Next on the Cancelled list?


For the most part Teachers, the new NBC sitcom, is getting failing grades. (god I don't believe I actually used that line!) But, I think the pilot showed great promise.

Unlike the last BBC import that NBC butchered (Coupling) I don't have a history with this show. I hear great things about the original..and currently have it on my amazon.co.uk wish list! But, this time I nothing to compare the show against. Which may be a good thing.

I found the pilot to be very, very funny. Both my parents are teachers, and from time to time I do some sub work at my old high school, those facts made some of the sublte moments funnier to me. Not that I know any teachers who play golf in the school, or drink beer in class... atleast none that will admit to it! I still think the show was funny.

People, and by that I am talking about "critics" need to lighten up and have fun with a show. For God sake Joey lasted into a second season!!

According to Sid Smith the "arts critic" for the Chicago Tribune, "New sitcoms routinely suffer from a trickle of so-so laughs, with the occasional real chuckle. This one manages an entire half-hour without a single viable joke." I disagree...maybe it is my lowbrow humor speaking. Or maybe I just don't know what is funny. But, I laughed from start to finish.

The writing is good...not great..but good. I think given a chance the writing will catch up with what makes the show work...the cast. Now I may be partial here..but Justin Bartha and Sara Alexander are hilarious.

When I head that Alexander was going to be on the show...I almost died. If you have never seen this funny, talented, stunningly beautiful woman in action I suggest you head out to your local video retailer and pick up any season of the original BBC sitcom "Coupling"...either that or turn on BBC America and try to find a rerun of that or Green Wing. She has the looks and a great comedic timing!

Bartha has been a favorite of mine since...I don't beleive I am going to admit to seeing this movie...Gigli. There it is out in the open...I saw Gigli. Not in the theater mind you...for free on HBO...kinda like rubber necking an accident...you have to look, even if you don't want to. But, he and Alexander carry the show...given time I think it will turn out to be a good "quirky" sitcom.

As I said...given a chance....it will be a funny show week in and week out. Or not given a chance it will give me one more reason to hate network tv. Thank God FX is turning out great shows....caught the premier of Theif tonight also...but that is a different story.

No comments: