Monday, July 06, 2009

The Big Movie Project, 2

3) 13th Warrior (1999) -- Antonio Banderas

Quick time -- Arab guy falls in with a band of Vikings, Battles evil monster, saves day. Longer version -- basically Beowulf with a twist. Same epic hero story line that runs though Beowulf with a twist. This time you get a hero's journey that doesn't start with him being a hero. You get the epic hero story told from zero-to-hero. Best moment: Banderas' character starts to speak to the vikings in thier own language after only a night...how did he do that? "I listened!"


4) 16 Blocks (2006) -- Mos Def, Bruce Willis
Not really sure why this movie has sat on my shelf still in the package for so long? If there are a few things in a movie that I like it's action...and Bruce Willis! Throw in Mos Def and you have yourself a fine movie. Directed by Richard Donner (who knows a few things about action) this moive is a bundle of fun. Actually it reminded me a lot of the Clint Eastwood movie "The Gauntlet" minus the bus...then -- A BUS!!! Alternate ending on DVD gives the movie a nice twist. I know why they didn't go with the alt ending...but really nothing changes. Overall a good solid action movie. 16 Blocks...one more reason why I really, really like Mos Def!

5) 21 Grams (2003) -- Sean Penn, Naomi Watts, Benicio Del Toro
One of the most talked about movies of 2003 finally gets a viewing from me...and I must say one thing. Damn I was confused for the first half of the movie. I like the jumping around style of story telling as much as the next guy. Now, maybe it is because I watched this one late at night. Or maybe I just wasn't in the mood..but, I wasn't blown away! Hate to say it...nothing really kicked it off for me. It was kinda like Return to Me...but less Romantic Comedy and more Drama Tragedy! Love Naomi Watts, Love Benicio Del Torro...not really that excited about Sean Penn. It's a good movie...glad I saw it, but more glad it was gifted to me and not a purchase! Favorite line: "Did you know that eating alone can cause Kidney damage...and that's bad!"

Coming up next: 40 year old Virgin, 54, 5th Element

No comments: