Monday, November 08, 2010

I'm not a Hoarder...I just save a lot.

So this last month Hoarding has popped up everywhere! CSI, South Park, Internet stories...Which, if you are obsessed with the train wreck that hoarding can be for other people, is a good thing.

I am transfixed with watching this disease overtake people. I understand that it is a problem that in most cases is out of the persons control. But, it still boggles my mind.Thankfully, I am only exposed to it in the extent that I watch shows like: Hoarders, Hoarding: Buried Alive, and ANY other show dealing with the subject.  I don't know what it is that draws me in..but the pull is there.

I liken it to the guy who slows down and rubbernecks the accident on the freeway and is enthralled with the destruction, but at the same time is also thankful that it didn't affect him or anyone he knows.

Personally, it acts as a catalyst to get stuff cleaned around the house. I can't remember the last time that I watched the show and didn't then run to the fridge to check expiration dates or do some laundry. Or, as of late, box up cd/dvd/books to sell.

There was a time where my DVD collection was a source of pride. I would have conversations that went:

Other Guy: "Oh, I have the most movies of anyone I know!"
ME: "Give me some numbers! I have 700 movies and over 130 seasons of tv shows!"
Other Guy: "Bet you don't know everything you have!"
ME: "Try Me....I may not be able to name every movie from memory. But, if you ask if I have something I can give you a yes or no!"

Since the obsession has really hit an upswing I have greatly reduced the amount of DVD's that sit on my shelves. For the most part a movie has to be a personal favorite: my Kevin Smith collection, or something that I paid way too much for: any Criterion DVD in my collection. Others are slowly moving out in favor of picking up credit at either Zia Records or Bookmans.

Granted I am slowly replacing the DVD's with Vinyl LP's. When you look a the space issue it's a lot less. Plus, those actually get used and are an investment. If you think I am rationalizing a new "hoard" I say it's a collection of treasures...not a hoard!!

So, for me this show is a catharsis of sorts. Until I started watching I never noticed that I had a ton of crap just sitting around my room taking us space and acting as a constant reminder of how much money I have spent wasted over the years.

While it sucks to think that something you spent so much money on is being sold at less than a fraction of the price. I have to feel like it is a little liberating for me to detach from those things. Now I know a day will come when I think "man I really want to watch that crap fest that was The Dukes of Hazzard staring Johnny Knoxville" only to find that it was "sold" ages ago. It's a good thing. I mean I've watched a few Bluray's over the last 6-8months but the last DVD I remember watching was "The Salton Sea" with Val Kilmer.  I actually made a special run to Zia's to grab that gem...and that was back in July!

Which brings me back to the point. Hoarders...the train wreck that I can't stop watching.

Reality TV to me is just so much low cost crap (read hear Survivor, American Idol and for you old school few...Temptation Island). Every now and then you do get a compelling reality show like Hoarders, Hoarding: Buried Alive or Intervention that can entertain while opening dialogue on a tough subject.

While I mock and laugh while watching...I also realize that it is a serious problem. I mean how could it not be if you have an emotional attachment to your pets shed hair, 3 year old pumpkins or a front room full of old newspaper clippings?

Even writing this make me want to clean something!! Guess I'll do the dishes when I get home. (plus I think we are running out of usable forks!)

No comments: