Saturday, November 20, 2010

Truth in music.

Growing up a child of the 80's/90's I seem to be more drawn to the music of my parents generation.  Partially because it's truly what I grew up listening to and partially because since I was little I tagged along with my father to his part time job as an oldies DJ (even going so far as to follow in his footsteps later in life).

"Oldies" (or what I consider as oldies '50-'79) are where the music truly lives.

Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of contemporary/modern music. Which is a term that makes me laugh since David Bowie on the 1977 Christmas special with Bing Crosby stated that he sang "modern music". To quote Bing, "modern music is marvelous, some of it's really fine." I like a wide variety of current music...From Tori Amos to Duffy, from The White Stripes to Rilo Kiley, from Lady Gaga to....well Gaga gets her own category!

But, the wealth of music from my parents era is where my heart lies. The Kinks, The Beatles, The Animals, The Doors, Herman's Hermits, The Grass Roots, Bob Dylan, Iron Butterfly, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Harry Nilsson, Ray Charles, Smokey Robinson, The Alman Brothers, Crosby Stills Nash (& Young)...etc.

I always laughed at my dad when he would ask me growing up if I could see myself listening to Ice-T when I was his age. For a long time I said the answer was yes...and still do think so to a point. But, lets face it "Cop Killer" isn't going to have the same lasting impression on music fans as "I Want to Hold Your Hand".

I don't see myself grooving to "Firestarter" by Prodigy the way I may still rock out to "People are Strange" by the Doors.

Is it too much to think that Lennon/McCartney will have a richer impact on music than Chris Brown or Miley "I still can't believe your Billy Ray's Daughter" Cyrus? I don't think there are many people who can argue the Brown/Cyrus point of the argument. 

The other issue with today's music not having the same impact on future generations is that is borrows so damn much from the past. Now, it's not a new thing to take from those who came before you...but lets face it...there are people (I have talked to them) who think "Helter Skelter" is a Motley Crue original. If you're nodding yes to that last statement...back away from the blog and pick up the "white album" by The Beatles.

You can't listen to a rap station without hearing a sample of Michael Jackon, Smokey Robinson or others. Hell, Wu-Tang sampled the Beatles "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" and Jay-Z hooked "Five to One" by the Doors.

Nothing other to really at to this topic right now...just had some time on my hands and a thought in my head. Time to listen to some Beatles...Hmmm---Something or All you need is Love?

No comments: