Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Book Review (well, more of a book report)

I wanted to start off with a review of Chuck Klosterman's "Killing Yourself To Live" since I just got done reading that, it was a Christmas gift (thanks Ryan). But, I decided to go a little off the beaten path for this review.


I was digging through an old box of books and found something that I hadn't thought of....let alone read, in probably close to 18 years!


The book I am speaking of is one of many in a series. Actually it is the combination of two of the greatest childhood book series of all time....if you have a guess make it now! Any idea? Well, if you guessed the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew you would be right!



Now this was no ordinay Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew crossover book. No, this was one of the greatest literary inventions ever... to steal the phrase from the originator.....this was a "Choose your own adventure" style novel. I think the phrase they used was "Be a detective" novels.


These were the books where you would read a few pages and then have the choice of: "If you want to follow Nancy Drew to the movie studio, turn to page 98"...."if you want to follow Frank and Joe to Silicone Valley, turn to page 121"..."if you think the detectives should look into the shady gardener, turn to page 22"


The great thing about these books was the fact that there were a ton of different endings to each story.


In one choice the gardener would be innocent in another he would be a "master thief".


Reading this again the other night brought be TONS of enjoyment! I really loved the whole Hardy Boys series, both the old books I got from my parents, and the "new" casefiles series! I'm kind of sad to see that this series hasn't seen a comeback of recent years.


Nancy Drew had a brief return with the Emma Roberts film of the same name. And to some respect...Veronica Mars.


Listen up Hollywood...once the writer's strike is over...I want a new Hardy Boys Series/Movie! PLEASE!!!!

No comments: