Friday, April 08, 2011

Bear Down Chicago Bears...

If you haven't heard this story you may not be a Bears fan...or you just may be avoiding good news in this day and age.

Turns out that Cliff Forrest, age 10, of New York City has reached out to former Bears player William "the refrigerator" Perry in a rather unique way.  He has gift the ex-nfl star his own Super Bowl Championship ring.

According to numerous news reports, Perry had to sell the ring when he ran into hard financial times dealing with Guillain-Barre syndrome, an autoimmune disease that can lead to weakened muscles.

The ring found it's way to Mickey Mantle's Restaurant in NYC...where Forrest spied it. Seems this ten year old really likes his sports collectibles. So he bought it using $8.500 of his college fund (wish I had that kind of money to blow). But, after researching Perry on the Internet he decided that Perry could use the ring more than him.

According to NBC sports, "Cliff was able to add to his collection on Saturday. Although he wasn’t looking for anything in return, Cliff received two autographed Bears jerseys and some cards from an appreciative Perry, who was conducting an autograph-signing session. “It was exciting,” Cliff Jr. said. “He looked really happy. He said, ‘Thanks.’ “It’s what I wanted to do. When I Googled Mr. Perry after I got the ring, I saw he had the disease and went through rough times. And I thought he needed it more than I did."

My favorite part of the story was the last line when it was pointed out that Forrest isn't even a Bears fan.... he's a Steelers fan.  Either way I say good on ya kid!

No comments: