Friday, April 15, 2011

Record Store Day

Make sure you get up early this Saturday and walk/run/drive to your favorite independent record store to experience the goodness that is....

RECORD STORE DAY!!!

What makes this day different than any other day of the year at you local store? Well, if they are participating they will probably have a ton of Record Store Day promo items, in store contests and possible live music or appearances by local and national artists.

If I was back in Illinois I would be spending my hard earned cash at Exile on Main Street in Champaign. If you are in the Champaign area I say stop in since Talib Kweli will be doing an in store appearance before his show that evening at the Canopy Clubs.  But, since I am in the Valley of the Sun I will be dropping into my local Zia Records to avail myself of some of the great deals.

The one item that I have my eye on is a 7" vinyl that has Gram Parsons and EmmyLou Harris with the Fallen Angels band on the A side doing "Love Hurts" and Jenny and Johnny on the B side doing the same track.

Other great Record Store Day items include: more Gram Parsons in the form of the International Submarine Band's "Safe at Home", Mumford & Sons / Laura Marling  full LP and many more...

Basically, it's a fun excuse to head to the record store, act like the true music snob you are, pick up some killer tunes on vinyl, and support those independent record stores that keep on keeping on!!

No comments: