Thursday, February 17, 2011

I'm just a little backwards

Technologically speaking I am a little ass backwards from time to time.

I've done the standard progression when it comes to cell phones. I had your normal big ass cell, the tiny flip phone from Sprint, then the first Palm phone from sprint, then I switched to a crazy phone that could play "ring tones"!! From there it was the Razor, Razor V3xx and then the upgrade to the iPhone, iPhone 3g, and then I jumped right to the iPhone 4.

For game systems it was Nintendo, Sega, Playstation, PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360 and a PS3. Then I got a Nintendo 64!! Throw in a few hand held systems thrown in the mix. The coolest of which was the Sega Nomad (look it up..it's awesome).

But, when it comes to media systems I have jumped a few steps. VHS, VCD, DVD, Bluray.  Now that may look normal but her comes the hiccup to the progression. I just bought a Laser Disc player! That's right. I found a Pioneer Laser Disc player at Goodwill for $30.

You may be asking why would anyone jump backwards to laser disc? A format where you actually have to get up and flip the disc in the middle of the movie in most cases! Well, the answer is simple...it's fun!

There's something to be said for having movies on laser disc. I started off with The Shadow and Under Siege just to make sure the player worked. Once that was verified I spent $9 on eBay to purchase Star Wars: A New Hope and Empire along with Apollo 13. 

Deep down I know there was no good reason to buy this relic of the entertainment industry. But, damn me if I didn't always want one! Plus, it is a digital Karaoke player! How pimp is that? Especially since I don't give a crap about Karaoke!!

No comments: