Thursday, February 10, 2011

Storage Wars

Storage Wars, "The Best Storage Show on Television"

I mocked this show for so long. I couldn't fathom the purpose or how anyone could/would/should have interest in this show.

Concept: If you rent a storage locker and don't pay your rent for a certain amount of time then the business can auction off the contents of your locker to the highest bidder to recoup their losses.

Bring in a few regulars, who have cash to burn and (in some cases) thrift store shelves to fill, and let them bid on the contents. The catch is that you can't open boxes, move things or enter the locker until you are the owner. Some times you lose out and find nothing but garbage (my luck if I did this). Or you can score a ton of cool crap.

The other day there was a marathon that got me sucked in the same way that Antique Roadshow has a hold on me when its on the tube. The first item I see a guy pull out is a tiny piano that looks like a toy. Turns out it was a highly collectible salesman sample piano from like 1928 that has a value of about $12,000. This damn thing was in the back of the unit, in a box. The rest of the unit was useless remnants of a beauty salon.

Other times find cash or baseball cards or collectible flare guns. Did you even know that people collected flare guns?

Like with any reality/non-scripted show you have many characters. There's Barry the collector. Barry is the funny one...he reminds me a lot of Joe Walsh for some reason. Jarrod and his wife Brandi are the "young guns". they are in it to keep the shelves of their thrift store stocked to keep the family afloat. You then have the constant personality clashes between Darrell who's been buying lockers for 20+ years and the "villain" of the show David.

David is the guy who will bid you up just to watch you squirm. He is also the guy who shows up bragging about the fact that he has $10,000 in cash to burn. He'll buy a locker just to spite someone. Usually this happens at the expense of Jarrod and Brandi who usually only have a few thousand to spend. What I am trying to say is that he is the dick of the show.

I only have one suggestion to make the show more interesting. Blind bidding. No on gets to look inside the locker. You just know the size of the locker and a rough estimate of how many free space there is left. That would inject a level of chance that isn't currently available. Sure, now you can't see everything that is in every box. But, you can make some educated guesses. This would be great! Plus I think it would lead to some better steals.

I'd like to say this was a one time thing and that it will never happen again. But, it probably will. Not sure if I will set my dvr to record the series...but I will watch again.

No comments: