Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Los Reyes de La Torta

Man Vs. Food has done it to me again! Last week it was a trip to Chompies for their Jewish Sliders. This week I had to hit up another local favorite of Phoenix.


Los Reyes De La Torta. All I have to say is Hail to the king baby!!


While the restaurant serves a wide variety of traditional Mexican food they are best knows for their Tortas. The torta is a traditional Mexican sandwich and they come in a wide variety of choices. The one that drew me in from Man Vs. Food was the Torta del Rey.

This fantastic torta is made of: roast pork & Chicken, beef milanesa, cheese, ham, chorizo, hot dog, a friend egg, beans, onions, tomato, avocado, and chipotle!!! For my tastes I left off the avocado and tomato.


It is also served with a generous portion of chips. Had I known that the drink was going to be a can or bottle I would have ordered a regular Coke to go with this traditional meal. There is something about drinking Coke from a glass bottle that makes it that much  better. Kind of like beer from a bottle vs. beer from a can I guess.


Now those skewers aren't there for show! This is not a small sandwich and structural integrity seems to  dictate that those skewers be placed there until it reaches your table. Once out of the kitchen and in front of you, the diner, it's now your problem!!




Prior to your first bite may I suggest that you form a game plan and try to map out how you will attack this wonder. I just dove in and got good and messy. 


The first thing that hit me was that you could taste all the different meats. It wasn't like the chorizo over powered the pork, or the chicken was lost to the beef. They were all there and they all came through loud and clear. 


Usually I'm not one for chipotle. But, since I had dropped the avocado and tomato from the sandwich I decided to let it ride as to not change too much from the signature sandwich. I was rewarded with a nice sweet burn, the good kind,  between the chipotle and the chorizo. 


When I was done the first thought that crossed my mind was, "Damn, when am I going to have a chance to come back?".


I got there about 5:00pm and there was no wait. I was seated right away and was promptly working my way through the menu. Lucky for me I already knew coming in what I was going to have....but I still looked over the menu to see what next time may bring.  Overall the food was excellent, the staff was friendly and the price was right. Heck, even the after dinner candies they gave me with the bill were great!! 


For my torta with chips and a diet coke I paid $12 (and that included tip). I couldn't even finish the chips or even think about a desert! I'd like to say that next time I'll try something different. But, I can't promise that.  I'm a creature of habit. I'll probably go back and get the exact same thing like I do at my other favorite local spot Chino Bandito (3Q, 7, Black Beans, Pork Fried rice and a snicker doodle...for the record)


So, if you find yourself hungry for traditional Mexican food then find a way to get yourself over to Los Reyes de la Torta at 9230 N 7th St in Phoenix and enjoy a Torta. 

No comments: