Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Movie Review -- Buried (2010)

Buried -- I really wish I hated Ryan Reynolds so I could make a Dick in a Box joke...but I genuinely like him as an actor.

This movie was a total waste of time for me. I really don't know what I expected? But, this movie was not it.

If you had a problem with Tom Hanks holding screen time with Wilson the volleyball in Cast Away than this movie is not going to sit well with you.

Not to get too deep into the plot. Frankly I wasn't paying that close attention. Reynold plays Paul, a US contractor working in Iraq. When his convoy is attacked Paul is kidnapped and, you guessed it, buried in the desert in a box. Left with only a few items in his box, including a cell phone that gets better reception than my iPhone 4. Paul tries to get in contact with loved ones and anyone who can help locate and save him. All the while being toyed with via cell phone by his kidnapper.

I would have expected some kind of setup shots of the convoy being attacked, or a glimpse of the voices on the other end of the phone. Neither of which ever comes. I understand that this is probably done to help the audience connect more with Paul and the isolation that he is feeling while being buried alive. For me it just led me to want to turn off the movie.

In a Hollywood movie machine where originality is looked down on in favor of blockbuster remakes and sequels; this movie could have been a shot in the arm. Not sure if it was the script or the execution that killed this one for me. If I had seen this in the theatre, like I had originally planned, I would have walked out...for the first time ever.

No comments: