Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Random Musical thoughts

Looking through my iPod the other day I got thinking about totally random musically related things! Thwhat things? Well, I got thinking aboutt what's the longest song on my iPod? What's the shortest song that would actually qualify as a song not a song intro/interlude? What's artist has the most songs on my iPod?

I also got thinking about songs that confused me once I actually listened to the words!!

Longest song: Iron Butterfly -- In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida 17:02
Shortest Song: The Beatles -- Her Majesty 0:29

Most songs: It a Tie between Gram Parsons and The Beatles at 88 songs each

Songs that confused me when I finally actually listened to the lyrics:

Billy Joel -- Only the Good Die Young.  While it's pretty obvious what this song is about now...there was a long time that I was completely ignorant about what was going on.. "Come out come out come out Virgina don't let me wait, You Catholic girls start much too late, Sooner or later it comes down to fate, I might as well be the one, You know that only the good die young, "  Really, how did I miss that one?

Herman's Hermits -- Silhouettes.  Always thought of this as a catchy little tune. Sang along for years! But, what seemed to escape me for the longest time was the following, "Lost control and rang your bell, I was sore,et me in or else I'll beat down your door, When two strangers who have been two silhouettes on the shade, Said to my shock 'you're on the wrong block' ". Essentially what you have here is a guy who boarders on obsessive/stalker. Granted he does get bounced out of the stalker category since it seems he really does have a relationship with the girl he thought he was watching. But, seriously this guy is just about one bad weekend away from a Temporary Restraining Order!

The Police -- Every Breath You take.  Speaking of stalker songs, "Every breath you take and every move you make, Every bond you break, Every step you take, I'll be watching you, Every single day and every word you say, Every game you play, Every night you stay, I'll be watching you, Oh can't you see you belong to me?" Okay...so maybe I did see this one coming a mile away. Let's face the facts. This should be the national theme song for stalkers and their friends!

Another good song for this list is the Rolling Stones, "Brown Sugar". Basically a song that covers everything from slave sale and rape to oral sex, drugs and other "taboo" subjects. The opening lyrics set the tone for the song, "Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields, Sold in a market down in New Orleans, Scarred old slaver knows he's doing alright, Hear him with the women just around midnight, Brown sugar how come you taste so good? Brown sugar just like a young girl should."  So with those lyrics it always cracks me up when I see a high school or college cheer leading squad doing routines to this song. Seriously, I want to stand up and mock them!!

I never claimed to be bright! From time to time I can be down right stupid. The best part is when the song has been around for a long time and you know the song...you KNOW the lyrics. For some reason though you seem to ignore the meaning all together.

No comments: