Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Simon Sez (1999)

Simon Sez -- Simon Sez....watch it all, if you can!

Now, this isn't so much going to be a review of the movie as it will be a look back on a film that should never have been made. Really, what was some studio exec thinking when this got pitched, approved, made and then distributed?

Staring basketball superstar Denis Rodman (it was 1999 remember) and comedian Dane Cook, before he was the crazy stand up star that he is today. This movie is BAD. Not bad as in bad ass...or bad as in good...but rather it is Bad as in NOT GOOD!

Who would have thought that Rodman's supporting role in the 1997 Jean-Claude Van Damme movie Double Team would lead to his character, Simon, getting his own movie? Raise your hand if you saw that one coming. Now take a step back into line and stop lying to yourself that you knew this was coming.

What you get in Simon Sez is a mix of bad dialogue, good fight scenes, crappy special effects, and half hearted attempts at comedy from Dane Cook and John Pinnette (who I actually liked here for some reason). Honestly I'm so unmotivated to re-watch this film to properly give a plot outline that I am going to just steal it from IMDB: A tattooed Interpol agent helps an old classmate find the kidnapped daughter of a computer software tycoon.

In case anyone was wondering...re-watching the movie is totally an option. In case you don't believe me...I submit this picture as proof. My DVD collection is vast and from time to time I have some really bad movies that I seem to love.

Simon Sez is one of those films. For some reason, I still can't put my finger on it, I still like this movie. With all its short comings this should be relegated to the 2 for $5 bin at your local store. It should stay there until they have an everything must go sale and make that bin down to 5 for $5.  I actually think that's how I got this copy.

This would fall in line with Hudson Hawk, Young Einstein (Yahoo Serious), Howard the Duck, and the greatest film I own....Leonard Part 6 (Bill Cosby) as movies that I have no right to like as much as I do. Really I wouldn't hold it against you if you judged me by that list. But, somewhere there has to another person who likes those same films, right?

No comments: