Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day -- Hallmark's Best Invention

Poor Little guy
A friend last week pointed out that "Valentines Day is really singles awareness day!" I put in my two cents to amend that quote to "Valentines Days, singles awareness day. Brought to you by Hallmark (now with more Jack Daniels than any other Holiday)!"  I also think it warrants consideration that the original quote was from a FEMALE friend.

I've never been a big fan of the day. Even when I was in a relationship it seemed like it was the one day of the year you were forced to do something. My personal philosophy is to spread the love out. Why give flowers on the day they're expected? Why not give them on an unexpected day to show that you care, not just that you remembered it was February 14th? That's just my two cents.
That got me thinking about quotes on love/relationships/marriage and the such. So, I did what any blogger in this day and age does. I turned to google and decided to cut and past some quotes. So without further ado, and even less work....

My contribution to Valentine's Day
(via other people's quotes)


"I wanted to marry her when I saw the moonlight shining on the barrel of her father's shotgun."-- Eddie Albert (actor)

"The magic of first love is our ignorance that it can ever end." -- Benjamin Disraeli (author, statesman)

"The only thing that holds a marriage together is the husband being big enough to step back and see where the wife was wrong." -- Archie Bunker (comedian, actor)

"Married couples who love each other tell each other a thousand things without talking." -- Chinese Proverb

"Immature love says "I love you because I need you." Mature love says "I need you because I love you." -- Erich Fromm (social psychologist)

"My heart is a flower, that blooms every hour. I believe in the power, of love." -- Amos Lee (singer) Song: Flower

Now, if you are looking for some tunes to bump for this holiday that let others know of you apathy for the day then here is a little playlist for your anti-Valentines day listening pleasure. Songs so anti love or relationship...or just down right depressing that you can't go wrong! Guaranteed to depress you or just help kick you out of the lovey dovey funk of the day:

1. Love Stinks -- J. Geils Band
2. Love Hurts -- Gram Parsons & Emmylou Harris
3. One more Minute -- "Weird" Al Yankovic
4. U and UR Hand -- Pink
5. (I hate) Everything about You -- Ugly Kid Joe (had to dig deep for that one!)
6. She Hates Me -- Puddle of Mudd
7. Song for the Dumped -- Ben Fold Five
8. Alone and Forsaken -- Neko Case
9. Run for your life -- The Beatles
10. F**K YOU -- CeeLo
11. $1000 Wedding -- Gram Parsons
12. What She's Doing Now -- Garth Brooks
13. Won't You Please Be Nice -- Nellie McKay (give it a listen if you've never heard it!)
14. How soon is now? -- The Smiths (can't have a mellow playlist without the Smiths)
15. Spark -- Tori Amos

So there you go...15 songs destined to either depress you to no end or show your Anti-Love mood on this the most crappy of all greeting card holidays! (at least the as long as you are single I guess)

No comments: