Friday, March 11, 2011

Childhood memories

Watching Community the other day got me thinking about Reading Rainbow (Levar Burton is awesome) and a few of my other childhood memories.  Some things and people, outside of your immediate family, have a lasting impressino on you. Some of my childhood favorites are....

Levar Burton -- Don't listen to the kids who taunted you for liking Star Trek the Next Generation. Just blame in on an extension of the awesomeness that was the long running show Reading Rainbow.  Levar Burton made reading cool. Whenever this show came on as a youth you knew it was time to have fun, learn something, have fun, uh...and have fun. Kids shows didn't get a whole lot cooler than this. PBS back in the day was a goldmine of great children's programming. Seems sad that we may soon have a generation of kids who don't know what public broadcasting (on a national level) is. If it wasn't for PBS I wouldnt' be the person I am today, a friendly guy who loves reading and enjoys the comedy of Monty Python and Are You Being Served. Yeah, PBS did that and Levar Burton helped!

Fred Rogers --  That's Mr. Rogers to you!! Remember when you were a kid and all that mattered was getting up, watching some cartoons, playing with friends and finding out what was going on in this man's neighborhood? It was a simpler time. Even to this day I have to smile when I seem some random old man in a red sweater.  Mr. Rogers was not only a role model for kids to look up to he was the kind of guy who was a role model to all types (and ages) of people, Next time you are in your local book store look for the books that have the wisdom of Mr. Rogers. There is still a great deal he can teach you about being a grown up, or for finding the kid still inside us all.

OG Readmore -- Yeah that just happened. Not sure why he makes the list. As Saturday Morning Cartoon PSA spokesmen go I think he ranks well below Smokey Bear and...well...I can't really think of another one! But, I still love this book loving nautical cat. I seriously almost went as OG to a Halloween party a few years back. But, after further thought realized that I would spend most of the night trying to get people to figure out a costume for a character that I probably have no right remembering myself. So I think OG Readmore was dumped for just some random O.G.

Bill Cosby -- The man was America's dad for god sake! Funny guy, strict dad, devoted husband. Lover of all things jazz and grilled. Bill showed America that just because a family looked different that you...that didn't mean that they were different than you. I'm pretty sure that his comedy and TV dad style rubbed off on my own father. Looking at the picture to the right I would say that if he didn't have that exact sweater in his closet he had it's near clone.  Funny without ever being vulgar or degrading, Cosby set the standard for wholesome funny. Even his 8:15 12:15 album which was supposed to have a more adult oriented second disk was tame by today's standards. Not afraid to speak his mind on a host of topics today, Bill remains one of my favorite, non-family, people who have been in my life in some form since I was a youngster.

Bob Ross -- How can you not like a guy who makes painting seem cool. Cool catchphrase "Happy little trees"!! A giant white Afro! The man had it all! Again another product of PBS being a big draw at our house. Still have to watch anytime it's on in re-runs. Sadly, I tend to fall fast asleep every time I watch it. Bob's soothing voice is like a lullaby from my youth!!

No comments: