Saturday, March 12, 2011

Reading list...

Take a Look, it's in a Book...
Reading Rainbow.
I really need to read more! Just noticed that I haven't really read a book in while. The last being "Heat Wave" by Richard Castle. Yes, that Richard Castle (aka: Nathan Fillion, aka: a novel tie in to a tv show)!

While Heat Wave was a fun read it wasn't very much of a challenge. It essentially was an extension of the series. Which means it was dead on target! Some of the gags and situations were lifted right from season one. Which makes sense since Castle was shadowing Det. Beckett during the time leading up to the book! So, it pays off on what I thought it would be.

Before Heat Wave the last book I read was "Assholes Finish First" by Tucker Max. While funny, it was a re-hash of the same stuff that appeared in his first book, "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell".  Granted there were some truely funny moments I kinda of lost interest by the end of the book.

Other titles in the last year are a collection of novels based on the TV show 24 and Dr. Who. So, what I am trying to say is that I need some substance in my reading life!  I have a copy of Chuck Klosterman's "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs" just mocking me. A biography of Gram Parsons that has been screaming to be read for about 2 years now. A few Christopher Moore books tha I still haven't finished ("Coyote Blue" and "Fluke") and a novel by Jimmy Carter called "The Hornet's Nest" that I bought right when it came out in 2003!

The moral of the story so far is that I suck at finding time to read!

I have a ton of recomendations for books and authors to read: Dave Eggers, Nick Hornsby, more Klosterman, and a second Richard Castle novel!!  The sad fact is that I just don't find the time to sit and relax with a book. Usually, relaxing at my house involves TV shows that have been on my DVR for months, a movie, or a drive around town.

I think I need to find an excuse to read more. Or maybe I should channel my reading in another direction...how about learning another language? Nah, not worth my time...three days in Paris isn't enough of a reason to learn French!

No comments: