Monday, March 21, 2011

New (to me) Artists

So thanks in equal parts to my sister and BBC radio 1 I am now hooked on a host of new bands. The Script, Skepta, Wretch 32, Noah & the Whale just to name a few.

There is always a pro and con to situations like this.

Pro:  New music to listen to!!
Con: Not a lot of the music is available in the states if they are just big overseas!
Pro:  If you like the new stuff there is usually a back log of old albums to listen to
Con: Not a lot of the old stuff is available in the states! (Pattern)

In these cases the are a few avenues to turn to...you can download the music from an illegal source (BOO!!!) or you can turn your hard earn money over to Amazon.co.uk (Yeah) or you can fire up the Pandora Radio and Sirius app (both good options).

As of right now I was able to buy the Script and all three Noah and the Whale albums at the local record store--Winning! I was able to legally download a few of the choice tracks I was looking for--Winning! I have new Pandora stations set up for Noah and the Whale and Skepta!! But, I still can't get my hands actually on a CD for Wretch 32 (which is because album isn't out). 

I had a chance a few weeks back to pick up a copy of Noah and the Whale's "Peaceful, the Wold Lays me Down" at a used book store. But, at the time I had no clue who they were!! I only remember because my sister was talking about them and lets face it...the name will stick with you! Lucky for me I was able to find the albums the other day at Zia Records.

For now I will just have to live with Pandora, BBC1 and a handful of songs!! My current favs for those guys are:
Doin It Again
Skepta (feat Diddy Dirty Money) -- Hello, Good Morning (Grime remix)
Skepta -- Rescue Me
Skepta -- Amnesia

Wretch 32 -- Traktor
Noah and the Whale -- L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N



other favs that you may want to keep an ear out for are:

Jessie J (feat. B.O.B)  -- Price Tag
Jessie J -- Do it like a Dude
Katy Perry (feat. Tinie Tempah) -- E.T. (remix)
Tinie Tempah (feat. Ellie Goulding) -- Wonderman
Twista (feat. Chrs Brown) -- Make a Movie  ...Just the other day I was wondering "What the heck is Twista doing right now?"

There are also two songs that I am kinda ashamed to admit that I like...but what else is the Internet for other than making bold crazy statements and professions of like/love!? Those two songs are:

Willow Smith (feat. Tinie Tempah) -- Whip My Hair .... seriously, I have no right liking this song!
Brittney Spears (feat. Flo Rida) -- Hold it Against Me

Both songs I attribute to the featuring artist that helps pull me in...even though I am not really a fan of Flo Rida. But, Tinie will get me to listen to any track. I mean come on, I listened to Willow Smith!!

No comments: