Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Barrett Jackson 2011

So I spent the better part of the afternoon with my father at the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction. If you are not sure what this is let me enlighten you.

It's, in my opinion, the top collector car show in the world. They hold many auctions each year...with the big event being this time of year in Scottsdale Arizona. This is where you can find the one of a kind treasures from your youth up for auction. In years past they've had The General Lee, The Batmobile, KITT (old and new) and many more iconic TV/Movie cars roll across the auction block. You can also have the chance to buy historic cars like this years feature the ambulance that carried JFK's body. Should go across sometime during the last two days.

2011 Camero Convertible ($36,000 as shown)
You can also see hard to find older cars or if you tend to lean more modern you can find concept cars and new off the line models of some of your favorites.

This year was the first time I've had a chance to attend. My father and I didn't spend too much time in the actual auction as the first few days are filled with nice cars that are, for the most part, cars you see all the time. As the week goes on the cars become more collectible and rare..and the prices keep going up.

For example the first car on the auction block was a 1992 Oldsmobile Delta 88  that was sold on a salvage title only, was not legal to be driven, and sold for about $4500. As we edge closer to the end of the show you will see those figures climb into the six figure range.

2011 Bugatti Veryon Super Sport
One of my favorites at the event isn't even going to be up for auction I don't think ... it's a 2011 Bugatti Veryon Super Sport that has a top speed of almost 270mph. Speaking with the company rep he told me that there will only be 40 of this car produced this year and the currently the one at the show is the only one that is in the United States at this time. This car looks fast just sitting still!

2011 Bugatti Veryon
The fact that the regular run of the Veryon this year that will include the Super Sport above and the regular silver and black model will only have a production run of about 300 will make this one sought after car to have in your garage. When you also factor in the reported plans to stop production on the Veryon after this year it will only drive up the value of this sweet ride.  Granted if last years price is any indication you will need to have a small fortune to take this bad boy home. The 2010 Veryon Super Sport when for $2.5Million.

Other nice cars that were on hand inside the main tent were the new 2011 Corvette, the 2011 Chevy Camero Convertible ($36,000 for those interested) and if you are thinking green .... a large selection of SMART cars.

If you thought you might die if you ever bought a SMART car and had to drive it around...may I suggest you spend you $19.000 on the convertible model! Seriously, it was so offensive to look at that I didn't even take a picture. It was like an assault on my eyes. A train wreck that I couldn't look away from. But, it wasn't because I was intrigued by it! More like I was confused by the concept.

"So let me get this straight...you want to put me in an auto with just barely more protection that riding a motorcycle...and you then want to make it a rag top?" You need to have a good come to Jesus talk every time you sit down in that thing just to make sure all your affairs are in order before you hit the highway! Seriously, helmet laws should apply when driving one of these little tinder boxes!

Gumpert Apollo
Another favorite of mine was the Gumpert Apollo. A car that brings a race car mind to the street.

With a top speed of almost 230mph this car will get you on the evening news should you try to foolishly outrun the Cops while testing out that top speed. And at a cost of about $400,000 you will only have to win a small lotto prize to drive it home rather than the Mega Millions.

With this toy you can push it almost as fast as the Veryon (current world record holder for fastest production car at 267.81mph) While still having almost $2Million in the bank to pay for tickets, repairs, gas and other unforseen expenses that come with have a car that costs more than half the houses on my block put together.

All in all it was a fun birthday with my dad. I got to see some great cars, talk to some great people and generally bum around for a few hours. So I think I'll call this a win.

No comments: