Monday, January 24, 2011

The first sign that the end is near...

First sign of 2011 that the End is near...I agree with Kim Kardashian....

I blissfully remember a time when I didn't even know who the hell the Kardashians were (or Paris Hilton for that matter). But, now you can't follow reality TV, or sports for that matter, without getting a Kardashian name drop once a month. The frequency of mentions increases in direct correlation to how close to the greater Los Angeles area you are.

So to say that I don't care about what she or any of her sisters has to say would be a fair assumption. Usually, if the headline even has the Kardashian name in it I don't even click on the link or read the article.

This time I was compelled to read the story for some reason when I came across this headline on CNN.com: Kim Kardashian Blames MTV for Teen Pregnancies.

Now there's a zinger that can go a few different ways! But, in this case I think it was a spot on observation from the reality TV "star".

According to the CNN's Marquee Blog article Kardashian says, "I find it so sad and disturbing," the 30-year-old reality star writes on her blog. "It seems that shows like 'Teen Mom' are all of a sudden making teen pregnancy seem cool in the eyes of young girls. The kids from these shows are all over the news, even on the covers of magazines, and have become almost like celebrities, but girls, these are not people you should idolize!"

I agree with her. Let me step back and look at that statement for a second...

Okay, yeah...we agree.

The glorification of the "teen mom" lifestyle may actually be MTV's fault! That doesn't mean that you shouldn't hold parents and the kids responsible at the same time. But, lets give credit where credit is due...and MTV does deserve credit. With shows like "Teen Mom" having a baby has gone from being an Earth shattering event that could make a girl a social outcast, to a possible windfall of economic gain!

Somehow a few months ago the magazine US Weekly just showed up at the house. It was  in my sisters name for the record. We never paid for it--never will. But, for the first four issues, or more, it was all "Teen Mom" this and "Teen Mom" that. Two which I begged the question, "What the Fuck?"

The funniest part to me of the magazine coverage was the "shocking" side stories like, "Can Mandy do it alone now that Jeff is out of the picture?"  Really? They say it like the biggest problem that a fifteen year old single mother will face is will the fifteen year old father in the picture?! NO fifteen year old boy (or girl for that matter) is ready to be a parent!

I still, in part, subscribe to the theory that there are a lot of "adults" that shouldn't be allowed to have kids. Not sure we need to go as far as testing before giving a green light to people to have kids. But, there should be some checks and balances before some of these "adults" are allowed to care for their kids.

Keep in mind that this all comes from a guy with no kids. Who's only real opinion on the subject is governed by what the media shows. That being said, We all live in a world where media attention is usually focused on the horror stories rather than the good deeds.

Much like Mark Anthony's speech to the Romans in Shakespeare's Julius Cesear when he says, "I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him; The evil that men do lives after them,The good is oft interred with their bones..."  Such is life in a world where reality TV is king. No one remembers the good stories, while everyone remembers the train wrecks...TEMPTATION ISLAND!!

So now I find myself speechless...what's going to happen next? Is that Douche-Nozzle (capitalized to show it is a proper title, like President) Michael Savage going say something that doesn't instantly make me want to stick a red hot poker in my ears in an attempt to unhear it? Will I find myself NEEDING a Lindsay Lohan CD? Or, will the end of the world come swiftly and save me from the shocking truth that I have a comparable viewpoint to Kim Kardashian?

Given those options...I'd have to side with a swift and all powerful Extinction Level Event!!

No comments: