Saturday, January 15, 2011

Rise of the iMachines

Apple is taking over the world!! I don't think that this is news to anyone who follows the tech world.

iPad, iPod, iPhone, iMac, about a million variations on each. iTunes was , and to many still is, the gold standard of online media stores.

Which leads me to wonder where it will stop? When will Apple jump into the arena of food? Footwear can't be far off. They already have a partnership with Nike for those crazy runners out there. Hell you can buy jackets that not only has pockets to put your "i" related product...if it plays music the jacket can be you speakers!

The next logical step will be to go with an implant a la Futurama's "Eye-Phone" spoof.

Personally I think the next step is here in a more subtle way...iTunes DJ....it is simple mind control-- mood altering, outlook changing, mood killing...MIND CONTROL.

The brilliant thing is that it doesn't try to control you every time you use it. It's brilliant like that. I woke up today with my iTunes on and the DJ function playing. While I was drifting in and out of consciousness I was remembering two strange dreams I had (not sure if either is related to the tunes).

The first was I was watching an episode of Castle and all the characters had on t-shirts that I had purchased from TeeFury the other was that when I woke up everyone I knew on Facebook had changed their status to both Married and Pregnant. EVERYONE men and women!! I'll let that sink in.....I know right!!

First dream probably not related to music...second? Maybe. So, what was the tune list? Not sure what was on while I was sleeping but here are the next 15 songs that were in the Queue:

Almost Lover -- A Fine Frenzy
Mandy -- Barry Manilow
Love for Sale -- Harry Connick Jr.
Hold her Close -- Blessid Union of Souls
Grace -- Jeff Buckley
Girlfriend in a Coma -- The Smiths
$1000 Wedding -- Gram Parsons
I Trust You to kill me -- Rocco Deluca & the Burden
Don't Look Back in Anger -- Oasis
Kiss With a Fist -- Florence & The machine
Fuck You -- Cee Lo
Melt Your Heart -- Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins
Real Bad News -- Aimee Mann
Unanswered Prayers -- Garth Brooks
Sentimental Heart -- She & Him

All great songs...but they alternate between generally depressing, emotionally depressing, lost love depressing, tragic depressing....I should just make a permanent play list and title it DEPRESSING. I also love how "I trust you to kill me" is placed directly in the middle of the list.

I understand that genius play lists are set up via similar song types, artists, melodic components, etc. But, the DJ button is supposed to be a true Random mix. Seems like there is something sinister at work here.

To quote the great Denis Leary, "Does that mean I sue Dan Fogelberg for turning me into  a pussy in the mid 70's?"  Maybe I should take his approach and try to sue Apple for the bad mood I'm in from time to time. It's just a thought...and I never said it was a good one!

No comments: