Friday, January 21, 2011

There is a Season...

next year is here...
It's officially time to start thinking about baseball. Spring training gets underway officially on February 14th when Cubs pitchers and catchers report to the training facility in Mesa Arizona.  Sure a few other teams report the day before...but who really cares about them?!

The team has gone through a lot of changes since the start of spring training last year. Lou Pinella is out as manager..Mike Quade is in!  Derek Lee is out at first base and slugger Carlo Pena was brought in as a free agent to fill the gap.  We've lost players: Ryan Theriot (who is now a Cardinal and bad mouthing the Cubs..but I still like him as a player), we've traded for a new top notch pitcher in Matt Garza (Rays) and we've brought back a guy who never should have left in Kid K (Kerry Wood).

To say that anticipation runs wild for this year would be an understatement. It would also be a statement that could have been lifted from the start of any spring training over the last 100 years!!

As a displaced Chicago fan I only get to see a few regular seasons games in person when they come to whip the D-Backs and as many spring training games as I can fit into my schedule.


Fits well with my Darth Tater and Spud Trooper Models!
 This year, thanks to a great birthday gift from my friend Sara, I will be going to the first game of the spring season versus the Oakland A's. I also got this totally bad ass Mr. Potato head who's all decked out in Cubs gear!

So I am looking forward to another year of sun, fun and some crazy beer prices at the ballpark!

So now I just wait for the MLB 2011 app to become available for my iPhone so I can listen to the games on the radio and be a happy boy during work hours!!

And let me end on this note... RIP Ron Santo this year won't be the same without you. As I said when you passed...it's too bad we couldn't get you into the hall before you got into heaven!

No comments: