Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Happy New Year

I think I finally made it through a New Years eve and new years day without someone asking me what my resolution was for the new year. It was at that point that I realized that I suck and keeping them anyway.

Take last years resolution to lose weight and get a grip on my diabetes. Well, it only took close to 11 months but I finally joined a gym and took "some" control over diabetes.  Not before it cost me a handful of sick days at work and an unknown amount of money in Dr. visits. (I say unknown because I don't care to know...not because I don't really know!)

So, going into 2011 I have set a few easy goals..but, they were set after January 1st so I don't know if they truly count as "resolutions"!!?

1) Stick with the gym thing. Should be easy. It's on the way home from work. It's paid for the whole year. I'm actually having a good time when I do go!

2) [or 1b] we get to revisit an oldie but a goodie!! Lose weight. To that end may I say that I am a little perplexed at this point. I've been going to the gym for about a month...have dropped my blood sugar numbers by about 50% but have gained about 6lbs. People ask me, "have you gained muscle?" unless my calves have gained about 3lbs each from riding the bike...I'm gonna go with no.

3) Get my happy ass out of the country. Not on a permanent basis. It's not like I'm gonna run off to live in Canada or Mexico...I just would really like to travel. I've always wanted to go to Europe (cliche?) and am still bummed that Illinois State University screwed me out of a chance almost a decade ago..not bitter though. So I have decided that this is the year. I will get my passport by the end of January...save most of my Tax return...and begin to work overtime to give myself the post college travel package I never got.

Thankfully I may have a few travel companions depending on how schedules work out! Fingers crossed! Current plans are for at least two weeks around June or July with destinations of Amsterdam, London, Cardiff (for the BBC sci-fi nerd in me) and all points between ... I'm looking at you Bruges!!

Three fairly easy...but expensive/time consuming goals for 2011. Oh, and for what it's worth I am willing to pick up companions for my adventure as the time moves forward! (I won't even make you call me The Doctor! *I said BBC sci-fi Nerd right?*)

So yeah...lose weight and go to Europe two big goals (oh and learn to count I guess)

No comments: